X windows freezes on start

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Tue Aug 21 04:58:45 UTC 2007

Hi Ed

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Langdon Stevenson wrote:
>> I decided to check if X works on my new server and ran into the
>> following problem:
>>
>> Server starts at run level 3 and operates fine.
>>
>> When I:
>>
>>   startx
>>
>> from the command line, X loads, then when it reaches the point where it
>> displays the splash screen for login, the splash screen flashes up for a
>> moment, with the cursor displaying as a hash of colour, then the screen
>> goes blank.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "splash screen for login" since you are already
> logged in right?

Sorry, you are correct.  It will be the desktop that is displayed.  The
glimpse is so short that there are no toolbars, or icons loaded.

> Check out your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors.

Ok, tailing /var/log/Xorg.0.log when I "startx" produces no output to
the log at all.

> You could also edit your /etc/inittab file and bring up the system in run
> level 5 to see if there are any problems.

Tried this with same outcome.  When X starts it freezes (and I can't ssh
in).

I will work through Kam's requests,  see what I come up with and post back.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Langdon