ssh password problem

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Aug 21 16:33:08 UTC 2007

Frode Petersen wrote:
> I had ssh set up and working. Then I got passwordless ssh working
> using rsa public keys.
>
> Now, some days later, I can't get ssh to authenticate either way and
> in either direction. (Same user on both machines.)
>
> I'm asked for the password (3 times in sequence), but it is rejected
> every time. I do enter the password correctly. I log in locally
> using the same passwords without a problem.
>
> Since the password request appears, I'd think that the connection
> can be established, and that the problem lies within the domain of
> authentication, but am a bit perplexed as to how to proceed. How can
> I figure out what the problem is?

Run ssh on the client with -v (add more -v's as needed).  That is
often quite helpful.  Also, take a look at /var/log/secure on the
server side.

Are you using ssh-agent?  Is your key added to the agent still?
(ssh-add -l will list the keys ssh-agent is holding for you)

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.