Adding a second CPU

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Aug 21 19:43:09 UTC 2007

Around 03:17am on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 (UK time), Ed Greshko scrawled:

> Langdon Stevenson wrote:
> > I have just switched my server from one 450 Mhz CPU to a pair of 500 Mhz
> > CPUs.  No problems so far.
> >
> > Machine started and detected both CPUs. Fedora 7 booted and
> >
> >   cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >
> > returns all the correct information.  Bot CPUs show up as expected.
> >
> > My question: do I need to do anything else to Fedora to make it use both
> > CPUs?  Like install a different kernel?  Or will it just use the second
> > CPU?
> >
> > Thanks for any feedback.
>
> You are done....

Indeed you are.  And if you run "top", and press "1" (both without
quotes) you will see a separate line for each CPU, rather than a
combined one.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 20:41:42 up 16 days,  9:05,  1 user,  load average: 0.20, 0.30, 0.16