missing piece of HDD while installed F7 for thinkpad T61

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 01:42:02 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a new T61 with a 120 GB HDD which came installed with Vista Home. My
> original plan was to have a Linux system with 103 GB for /usr/local, 6GB for /,
> 1 GB for swap and 2GB for /tmp. I planned on 8 GB for Windows.
>
> However, the Vista Home basic was too much for me so I scrapped it and got XP
> Professional installed (very limited). Then I tried to install Fedora. But
> Fedpra can only see 114.8 GB of diskspace, including the XP NTFS partition.
> Question: where did the remaining 5GB part of the HDD go? After looking around
> on my friend Google, I came across a factoid that there is a Rescue and
> Recovery partition which roughly equals this amount of HDD. But this part is
> not visible to me at all. I was wondering if someone could please tell me what
> I was supposed to do here, since this is a very strange phenomenon for me. Is
> there a way to reclaim that part back? How? I don't think this is a F7 issue
> but F7 is where this problem has shown up, since that is what I tried
> installing.
>
> Many thanks and best wishes,
> Trotter

> Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Whenever you buy a hard drive, the rating you see on the package is MiB,
not MB - in other words, the system where there are 1,000,000 Bytes in a
"MegaByte".
When you install Fedora, it displays the space in actual MegaBytes where
there are 1,048,576 Bytes in a MegaByte

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte