dhcp not working on machine

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 22 18:37:59 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Rick,
>
> modprobe.conf is as follows
>
> [root at localhost Documents]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias scsi_hostadapter pata_sis
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
>

> The machine hangs at gathering IP information. It does not move
any further. To achieve a connection on this machine, I disconnect
the ethernet cable and manually assign it an IP. What could be wrong
here?

> While the device is disconnected booting goes on as normal.

I bet if you waited long enough, the machine would have finished
booting. It sounds like it is not getting a response from the DHCP
server. Can you look at the logs on the DHCP server? That should
give you an idea of what is going on. There may also be helpful
messages in /var/log/messages. Do a search for DHCP."

Mikkel