keyboard not responding

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 23 02:31:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 18:53 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> I have a problem in FC6:
> Every so often, usually while I'm using Firefox (Swiftfox 2.0.0.4 if
> it matters), the keyboard stops responding completely. And not just
> for firefox - it doesn't work anywhere in X (KDE 3.5.6, btw). The only
> solution is to use the mouse (!) to log out, at which point keyboard
> starts working again.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything of this sort?

I've seen the same sort of thing in prior releases, but haven't
encountered it, again, on anything later than FC5 (yet).  You'd find, at
some time, the keyboard didn't respond, at all.  Or that it would only
work while you held down the shift key (which, of course, makes it
impossible to enter lower-case commands).  I was guessing that I'd
accidentally hit some special key combination without noticing it, and
switched some sort of operating mode.  I never found a solution other
than to log out and back in again, sometimes a few times.

I had seen something similar, like the old CTRL-S/CTRL-Q sequence used
to connect and disconnect some serial communications (xon/xoff).  I
don't see them affecting the text console on this FC7 box I'm playing
with while in a graphical mode, but it does on a text-only virtual
console.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386