Using yumex to install new kernel and keep old kernel

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Aug 23 03:58:03 UTC 2007

I'm running FC6. There are two kernels installed:

[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qva | grep ^kernel
kernel-2.6.22.1-32.fc6
kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-32.fc6
kernel-2.6.20-1.2962.fc6

The problem is, wireless doesn't work with the newer kernel (2.6.22.1-32
- something to do with a conflict between wireless-tools and wireless
extensions and versions which I could not resolve) but it does work with
the older kernel (2.6.20-1.2962) and all the previous kernels. There is
a newer kernel available: 2.6.22.2-42. I would like to install
2.6.22.2-42 and keep 2.6.20-1.2962. Yumex wants to remove 2962. I've
tried to remove 32 but when I try this it wants to remove the
kmod-ndiswrapper that goes with 2962 (because of dependencies - which
seems weird to me). Is there some way to do this with yumex or yum? Is
it possible to have all three kernels installed? (I used to be able to
have many kernels installed in previous versions of FC, not just two.)
I've also tried unchecking the kernel-module plugin for yumex but this
seems to have no effect.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to try the new kernel to
see if wireless will work but I don't want to lose a working kernel.

Rick B.