Firefox and Thunderbird crash on F7.

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Aug 23 09:14:26 UTC 2007

>> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so and
>> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_02/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_nscp_gcc29.so or
>> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so in my
>> working strace.  I would consider mv-ing the contents of those dirs
>> somewhere else as a test and see if the problem changes.
>
> I have renamed the .../lib/... and .../plugin/... directories and bingo
> now I can again run firefox. Is the jre installed (jre.i586) broken? I
> can see there is another jre (jrefactory) is that preferrable?

Well that's good news, I think you need to move one of the dirs back
though to pin it on the right culprit... I'm not sure that
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so is coming out of the jre since it
sounds like an Acrobat plugin, so the problem could still be coming from
either direction.

I have that version of the jre installed here and firefox is working
okay, BUT it is not listed in the about:plugins FWIW, I guess I didn't
install the plugin.  However I don't have Acrobat or the
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so file either... in recent versions kpdf
has become a perfectly acceptable replacement except for the massive
pixmap leaking needing it closing and restarting after any amount of
scrolling :-O

-Andy