MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 23 18:18:53 UTC 2007

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 08:34 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>
>> If it doesn't get as far as the menu, you can try the rescue disc,
>> and do the same thing, but start the GRUB shell, first, yourself.  Simply
>> type grub at a command prompt, then those three commands, when you
>> get the grub shell.
>
> Thanks. I gave that a whirl, but all grub said was that hd0,0 couldn't be
> seen. The LVM still mounted, but nothing else.
>
> Eep!
>
> Help!!!!
>
> TTFN

Two points - your missing devices sounds like udevd is not running.
You can check this by running "ps a | grep udevd". If it is not
running, you should find out why. As a temporary fix, you can run
udevd as root.

The second point is that the instructions were for running grub
before the system is loaded. You would do this ether at the menu
where you select the system to boot, or at the grub prompt if the
menu is not displayed. You do not do it running grub from Linux.

Mikkel