MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 23 18:29:49 UTC 2007

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My main HD has decided that the MBR should no longer work and be an unhappy
> little monkey. The drive itself is physically fine (I've booted using RIPLinux
> and run fsck over it).

This does not prove that the drive is physically fine. You have a
problem with no explanation yet. How did your MBR get clobbered?

Step 1: Boot rescue and mount as much as possible, preferably read only,
on that disc. Copy everything off of there that you can to another disc.
If you can, you might make a disc image. If you can make a disc image,
then do your fixing on the image first, not on the real disc. Make two
if possible. Anyway, if something you are trying to do fiddles up the
image, the original is still intact. We're in damage control here. We
want to mitigate the possible negative consequences of our actions.

[snip]

> Can someone please help me here? This is something new to me in Linux (I've
> never had to reinstall grub) and I really need to get the drive up and running
> again!

Let's get your data safe, first.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.