MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 23 18:42:23 UTC 2007

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 08:34 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>>

>> If it doesn't get as far as the menu, you can try the rescue disc,
>> and do the same thing, but start the GRUB shell, first, yourself.  Simply
>> type grub at a command prompt, then those three commands, when you
>> get the grub shell.
>>

> Thanks. I gave that a whirl, but all grub said was that hd0,0 couldn't be
> seen. The LVM still mounted, but nothing else.
>
> Eep!
>
> Help!!!!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
> --

    Hi Paul you were given false instructions by Tim. He said to use
(hd0,0) I think it was. It should be (hd0) like that.

    Now I assume you have a working DVD drive and you can put your F7
DVD in that and your computer will boot the DVD. Choose the Rescue
option. When it comes up and asks what you want to mount try and mount
the /boot partition. At least learn what that partition is called! Let's
say it is called /dev/sda5/. In grub that is equal to (hd0,4). Make sure
you know the right one. If you don't you will fail.

    At the prompt on the Rescue DVD type # grub. It will bring up a grub
shell. In the shell type this using my example. Yours might be different:

grub> root (hd0,4)
grub> setup (hd0)

After the setup it should type a lot about what it did. If not your MBR
is broken. Get a new hard drive. If yes you get the stuff, reboot and
your system will run again :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User