yum completely freezes as root

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 23 19:26:48 UTC 2007

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    Try it after you do a su - in a terminal window. The simple su gives
>> you a sort-of root. The su - makes it a real root termial.
>>

> Just tried it - same thing, it freezes.  Happens for "su", "su -", and
> "sudo".

Two things that I have done in the past to resolve problems with rpm and yum commands that hang.

1) rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*

I'm not sure what information is held in these files, but deleting them seems to clear up some problems. The files get automatically re-created

2) yum clean all

This cleans out any cached data that yum might have collected.