MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Thu Aug 23 19:44:29 UTC 2007

Around 10:04am on Thursday, August 23, 2007 (UK time), Tim scrawled:

> Is the "GRUB" message before or after the usual menu?
>
> If you can get the GRUB menu, but can't proceed booting as normal, you
> can probably repair GRUB at this stage.  At the menu, hit the hot key
> (c) to get a GRUB command line interface, then go through the following
> three commands in the grub shell:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> exit

Around 07:42pm on Thursday, August 23, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

>    Hi Paul you were given false instructions by Tim. He said to use
> (hd0,0) I think it was. It should be (hd0) like that.
>
>    Now I assume you have a working DVD drive and you can put your F7
> DVD in that and your computer will boot the DVD. Choose the Rescue
> option. When it comes up and asks what you want to mount try and mount
> the /boot partition. At least learn what that partition is called! Let's
> say it is called /dev/sda5/. In grub that is equal to (hd0,4). Make sure
> you know the right one. If you don't you will fail.
>
>    At the prompt on the Rescue DVD type # grub. It will bring up a grub
> shell. In the shell type this using my example. Yours might be different:
>
> grub> root (hd0,4)
> grub> setup (hd0)
>
> After the setup it should type a lot about what it did. If not your MBR
> is broken. Get a new hard drive. If yes you get the stuff, reboot and
> your system will run again :-)

So Karl, you acuse Tim of giving false instructions.  And you actually
use the phrase "He said ... I think it was", so you couldn't even be
bothered to check what he said before acusing him of this.

You then say "He said to use (hd0,0) I think it was. It should be (hd0)
like that".  You then go on to say he should use exactly the same format
of instructions as Tim gave anyway, except you decided that it shoudl be
(hd0,4) rather than (hd0,0) - how did you know that?

Anyway I think an apology to Tim is in order.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 20:37:56 up 18 days,  9:01,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.02