Logrotate - daily log files for a month

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 23 22:46:46 UTC 2007

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>>> I hope you realise that if set to daily, logrotate happens at 4:02AM.
>>> That means yesterday's log actually contains 4 hours of 'today' and is
>>> missing 4 hours from yesterday.
>>> If you run automated report generation from the logs, eg. SARG, the
>>> report will be incomplete unless the utility that generates reports is
>>> aware of log rotation and takes it into consideration.
>>>
>> This can be changed - either change the entry in /etc/crontab, or
>> remove logrotate from /etc/cron.daily and put an entry in
>> /etc/cron.d to run it at 12:01 or something like that.
>
> Doesn't quite work for me. I have SARG generate daily reports for my
> proxy usage and if logrotate happens before the SARG process is started,
> then it generates reports from what is currently in access.log, ie. it's
> doesn't fetch data from the rotated logs. Other utilities for log
> analysis may behave differently.

Well, you could run a daily cron job that pulls everything with
yesterday's date out of the log and the rotated log, and puts the
results in a file with the correct date as part of the name. Or, if
you want to archive the entire month in one file, append the output
to a fine. Then have a monthly job that renames the file to the
correct mouth and year, and create a new, empty file to collect the
next month's job. That way, the daily cron job doesn't have to know
the month.

Mikkel