System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection no longer hear sound

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 24 00:01:02 UTC 2007

stan wrote:
> [...]
>> the cli or the gui to try to get sound working again.
>>
>> I tried aplay on a .au file and heard nothing.
>>
>> I don't know what to put in google to even get close to
>> getting results that will be useful.
>>
>> I am very frustrated with myself for somehow screwing up
>> sound that once worked.
>>
>> Darlene Wallach
>>
> If it once worked, it will work again.  That is a positive.
> What kind of card is it?
>
> Does aplay -lLv show any output, or does it say 'no sound device detected'?
> default:CARD=Revolution51
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=Revolution51,DEV=0
>    M Audio Revolution-5.1, ICE1724
>    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> null
>    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
>  Subdevices: 0/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958
> [IEC1724 IEC958]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 2: ICE1724
> Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround PCM]
>  Subdevices: 2/2
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
>
> Or, equivalently, when you look in /proc/asound do you see information?
> Does it exist?
> card0  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  Revolution51  seq  timers
> version
>
> If you don't see either of the above, your sound card is not detected.
> Do the dmesg below to find out why.
>
> If there is a card, do this.
> Open a terminal.  Type alsamixer.
> You will be on the master volume control.  Push the up arrow until it is
> at a reasonable height, just below the red or just in the red.  Press
> escape.
>
> Now try your sound again.
>
> Do a "dmesg | grep -i snd"
> and a "dmesg | grep -i alsa"
>
> If your sound is not installing, there will be messages indicating

# aplay -lLv
default:CARD=AudioPCI
     Ensoniq AudioPCI, ES1371 DAC2/ADC
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=AudioPCI,DEV=0
     Ensoniq AudioPCI, ES1371 DAC2/ADC
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=AudioPCI,DEV=0
     Ensoniq AudioPCI, ES1371 DAC2/ADC
iec958:CARD=AudioPCI,DEV=0
     Ensoniq AudioPCI, ES1371 DAC2/ADC
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
   Subdevices: 0/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# ls /proc/asound/
AudioPCI  card0  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  version

I used alsamixer and reduced the master and master m
so that only one red square showd

I used wget to download
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/misc/english.au
$ aplay -t au english.au
Playing Sparc Audio 'english.au' : Mu-Law, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

I did not hear anything

# dmesg | grep -i snd
returns nothing

# dmesg | grep -i alsa
returns nothing

btw, I posted most of this and alot more in my original
message dated Monday, 20th August:
subject: sound prob Ensoniq ES1371 on Fedora 7

I pasted most of the contents of scsconfig.log.
I deleted parts I thought had nothing to do with
sound.

Thank you very much for responding to my email!

Darlene Wallach