Logrotate - daily log files for a month

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 24 01:58:14 UTC 2007

Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:27 +0100, John Horne wrote:
>> this does not account for month's of 31 days, or February with 28/29
>> days

Tim:
> I'd guess that you'd have to do what banks do:  Do your activities on
> the first of the month.  If you do it close after midnight, you keep the
> last month's work, and start a new month's, hoping that you want nothing
> in the last few moments to be part of this month's data.

Another thought:  Post-process just the .1 log after the rotation, so
the system rotations doesn't upset your logs (you don't miss things).
Use a script that writes your own logs to dated files, appending the
data to the right date files (that takes care of some of yesterdays and
some of todays messages in the processed log).  Handled your own dated
logs separately from the system, and let the system rotate and remove
its own logs as it usually does.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386