MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 24 07:45:54 UTC 2007

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My main HD has decided that the MBR should no longer work and be an unhappy
> little monkey. The drive itself is physically fine (I've booted using RIPLinux
> and run fsck over it).
>
> The system currently does this. Start up is fine, all drives detected. I then
> get "Booting from CD" twice and then the single word "GRUB". Then nothing. The
> machine hasn't died or anything like that, just grub stops dead.

Ok, I've been watching this somewhat, and I still don't have a good idea
of the history of this drive.

(1) Before just a few days ago, was this drive bootable, and does
it have useful information on it?

	If not, then just start from scratch with this disc.

	If so, then as I indicated before, your first step must
	be to retrieve as much useful information off that disc
	as possible, and save it somewhere else.

(2) Was this drive previously your boot disc?

(3) You say you did "an update via yum". What was the exact
command you issued? What messages if any were displayed.
What kind of "reset" did you do? Did you simply hit the reset
button on your machine while it was up?  How many other drives
were present? Was this drive part of a logical volume involving
any of the other drives? Are you using RAID? If so, hardware
or software or combination? Under what conditions does the
machine state "Booting from CD"? Is a CDROM in a drive? How
many CDROM drives do you have? Does it usually display that
before booting from a hard disc? Is the word "GRUB" on a line
by itself? Did it used to display that word?

In short, please give a reasonably detailed history of this
drive and the machine's normal boot which you expect to see,
and an indication of any differences between what you usually
see and hear, and what you observe now.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.