problems for installing fedora 7 on a poweredge 1650

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 14:15:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 13:10 +0200, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
> I m tryng to install fedora 7 on this beast and the installer is stuck
> at early stage.
>
> indeed i have at the screen
> Ready
>
> and nothing happened after
>
> i choose text or graphic but i got the same thing
>
> i succeed install other server with the same CD
>
> did someone already had this problem?

Hi

I replicate a previous reply below
Hope it helps

Bet you have an Asus motherboard !!

I had to do this on one of my machines !

Thanks to LarryT for the info below !!!!

I chose option 2 !!!!!!!!!!!

Big problem with F7 install on Asus A7V600-X motherboard
Sata drives cause booting to stop just after loading vmlinuz and initrd
the machine freezes with the following message !
Ready
Solution 1 - Not Nice
There is a way to install Fedora 7 on ASUS-A7V600(-X) (maybe other)
boards with
any sata drives connected. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Unplug any sata drives. When the kernel is loading, plug in (hotplug)
the drive.
Then everything is working. ;o)

Solution 2
OKAY : found I very cute work around :
booting usb stick after dd the diskboot file !
This makes no sense to me !!!!!!
but it works and the fun may begin right now
_________________________
LarryT, GParted-livecd maintainer
Main site : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
#########################
Therefore
mount -o loop F-7-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/zip
cd /mnt/zip/images
dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sdxxxx

On my machine I had to do the above and
Select USB Zip on Asus board!!
Boot up past the problem and then insert the DVD
It Works!!!!

john