Using yumex to install new kernel and keep old kernel

Roman Maeder gmAB.20.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Fri Aug 24 15:04:25 UTC 2007

Rick Bilonick wrote:

> .... Yumex wants to remove 2962. I've
> tried to remove 32 but when I try this it wants to remove the
> kmod-ndiswrapper that goes with 2962 (because of dependencies - which
> seems weird to me). Is there some way to do this with yumex or yum? Is
> it possible to have all three kernels installed? (I used to be able to
> have many kernels installed in previous versions of FC, not just two.)
> I've also tried unchecking the kernel-module plugin for yumex but this
> seems to have no effect.

I just tried to update to the newest 2.6.22.4 and, this being the third
new kernel installed after installing Fedora 7, it wanted to remove the
first one, too. installonlyn is not installed. "man yum.conf" says that
the default of installonly_limit should be 0 (to disable the feature).
This does not seem to be correct. Explicitly setting installonly_limit=0
in my yum.conf fixed the problem and it no longer wants to remove older
kernels.

Roman
--
The most aptly named computer book: "Windows for Dummies"