System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection no longer hear sound

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 24 15:08:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:59 -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > Darlene Wallach wrote:
> >> While I was installing Fedora 7, I heard sound during
> >> the sound test. After Fedora 7 was installed, I tried
> >> System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection and I
> >> heard sound.
> >>
> >> I installed Macromedia, mplayer, vlc. I tried to watch
> >> youtube and did not hear sound. I used the
> >> System -> Preferences -> Personal -> volume control
> >>
> >> I now do not hear sound when I select
> >> System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection.
> >>
> >> What could explain the soundcard not being detected?
> >>
> >> Should I reinstall Fedora 7?
> >>
> >> I sent an email out on Monday, 20th Aug to which noone
> >> has responded. Are people tired of helping people get
> >> sound working? Is the subject of no interest?
> >>
> >> If anyone can give advice or feedback, I would appreciate
> >> it. Can someone point me to documentation?
> >>
> >> Thank you for your attention and consideration,
> >>
> >> Darlene Wallach
> >>
> > See if your sound card has been detected.
> > aplay some.wav    this will use the default device
> > aplay -D plughw:0,0 some.wav  uses a different plugin than default
> >
> > You can also look at aplay -lLv to see the info alsa has about your card
> > and how it has configured it.
> > There is lots of information in /proc/asound as well.
> >
> > By default alsa starts with sound muted, so use either the alsa mixer gui
> > or alsamixer in a terminal to adjust at least the master sound level.
> >
> > If you have more than one soundcard, it is possible that they were
> > assigned in a different order than you expect.  This requires explicit
> > assignment it /etc/modprobe.conf.  Lately, I've noticed this occurring
> > by default.
> >
> > Some applications need to be configured to use the card.
> >
> > And yes,  this question has been asked and answered many times on the
> > list.  The answer has to be out there somewhere on the web, for sure on
> > either the alsa-user list or this list at gmane.org.
> > I'm sure you find the subject of interest. :-)
> >
> > I've had pretty good luck with sound, the basic functions have just
> > worked.  If you are using an obscure chip, or a troublesome chip it can
> > be problematic.  And because every sound card is different, only someone
> > familiar with your card can really go beyond the basic stuff above.  For
> > those, the alsa lists are probably the best bet.  They can also tell you
> > if it is even supported.
> >

> I did check all the email on the Fedora list regarding
> sound problems with Fedora 7. What I did not see was
> someone asking about sound working on the sound test
> during installation and after installation, then the
> sound test failing.
>
> I do not understand what to do change on alsamixer either
> the cli or the gui to try to get sound working again.
>
> I tried aplay on a .au file and heard nothing.
>
> I don't know what to put in google to even get close to
> getting results that will be useful.
>
> I am very frustrated with myself for somehow screwing up
> [...]
Having the soundest work and sound not work is common. In alsa mixer
unmmute the sound channel as described previously, and use the side
arrows to go to the appropriate channel then the up arrow to increase
the sound level.
Has anyone realized that the purpose of the fortune cookie program is to
defuse project tensions? When did you ever see a cheerful cookie, a
non-cynical, or even an informative cookie? Perhaps inadvertently, we
have a channel for our aggressions. This still begs the question of
whether the cookie releases the pressure or only serves to blunt the
warning signs. Long live the revolution! Have a nice day.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net