Fwd: Problem with window program under root

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Aug 24 16:23:38 UTC 2007

Riggi wrote:
> I sent this mail, but I wasn't on mailing list, so please answer me now...
>
> thanks

You don't say if this is local or remote.
If remote, remember to use -Y, ie:

$ ssh -Y myserver

If it is local, use sudo for commands that need to be run as root. That
will preserve your Xwindows permissions.  However, runing KDE based
applications via sudo, will create (recreate) ~/.ICEauthority as root.
This will cause your next login to fail.  Be sure to remove (or change
permissions on) it before you log out.

Also, most of the system-config-* commands are now able to ask for the
root password, thus enabling you to run them from the command line
either locally or remote as yourself.

Good luck!