Fwd: Problem with window program under root

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 24 20:07:47 UTC 2007

Riggi wrote:

> On 8/24/07, *Alexandru Ciobanu* <alex at tvtransilvania.ro
> <mailto:alex at tvtransilvania.ro>> wrote:
>

>     export XAUTHORITY=/home/user/.Xauthority
>     There are some security issues here tough:
>     man xauth
>
> I create /home/user/.Xauthority file by tipping  xauth and then generate
> :0.0
>
> and that file I copy in /root/
>
> now I got this message:
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> cannot open display:
>
> did I do any step forward?

Nope - you need to use the correct file generated by the running X
secession. Note, this is taken care of automaticly for you when you
run "su -" in a terminal in the running X secession. It is also
taken care of by ssh when you used ssh -Y to connect to a remote box
from an xterm on your machine. Where you run into problems is when
you log in at the cli as root, and then try and run a program that
requires an X display, or when you ssh to another machine without X
forwarding enabled.

Oh yes, chances are, the correct cookie file is in the /tmp
directory somewhere.

Mikkel