CUPS problem

PerAntonRønning pa-ronn at online.no
Sat Aug 25 07:25:42 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 13:16 +0200, PerAntonRønning wrote:
>
>> What about FC 7? I have what I think must be a hardware problem, since
>> it has occured under SuSe, Mandrake, Madriva and now FC 5: Screen
>> freeze. The PC blocks out keyboard and mouse, and anything that moved
>> on the screen freezes. I have no clue as to why, or what triggers it,
>> and nobody on this list or the Mandriva newbie list had either. So:
>> Hardware trouble.
>>

> That does sound ominous.  Do you know why the fuse blew?  Perhaps you
> had some mains trouble at that time, and some damage occured to your
> computer.
>
> Though it could be co-incidental, and now might be the time to
> dissassemble the PC, clean out the heatsinks, check that all the plugs
> and sockets are firm (disconnect and reconnect them), likewise with the
> daughter cards.  If you still have freezing problems with different OSs,
> then that does point to there being some kind of hardware fault that'll
> need a replacement to fix.

The fuse: Sorry , I was not clear on that. It was not in the PC, it was
in the house. When turning on a lamp, the lightbulb went out with a
"bang" and caused a short circuiting. This does not happen often, but
this time it did happen, and there was this domino effect.

I am not very good at tinkering with the machine (you would not like to
to leave the servicing of your car to me either). I have done minor
things, but nothing major. Also, I have no equipment, no instruments by
which I could measure or test things.
I suspected my NVIDIA-card, since there was a screen freeze, but I am
not sure of that.
I think this problem requires a more intimate knowledge of hardware than
I have.
Brgds
PAR