Fwd: Problem with window program under root

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 25 14:06:11 UTC 2007

Riggi wrote:

>     Nope - you need to use the correct file generated by the running X
>     secession. Note, this is taken care of automaticly for you when you
>     run "su -" in a terminal in the running X secession. It is also
>     taken care of by ssh when you used ssh -Y to connect to a remote box
>     from an xterm on your machine. Where you run into problems is when
>     you log in at the cli as root, and then try and run a program that
>     requires an X display, or when you ssh to another machine without X
>     forwarding enabled.
>
>     Oh yes, chances are, the correct cookie file is in the /tmp
>     directory somewhere.
>
>     Mikkel
>
> I can't find that...is any other solution? Or can anybody send me his
> file or something...

Sending you my file would be like sending you my password - it would
not do you any good on your system. Think of it this way - the
cookie file is a key that unlocks a specific lock. Trying to use a
key that is for a different lock is not going to work. What make
this key even harder to copy is that a new key and lock are used
every time you start the X server. (You start a new X server when
you do a local GUI login, or run startx.)

As far as the name of the cookie file, it depends on the display
Manager being used. On my system, using GDM, the current file is
/etc/.gdm679ZWT but it will be different after I log out. The user
currently logged into the GUI can find it by running
"echo $XAUTHORITY" in an xterm.

Now, as Tim has said, if you tell us what you are trying to do, we
can probably tell you how to do it. Or you can try to figure out the
 xauth man page...

Mikkel