OT What does RET (Enter) do and how does it do it ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Aug 25 17:45:23 UTC 2007

Thanks Les;

Don't be offended by the [Big Snip] -- just trying to keep the size
down.

[Big Snip]

> I realize this is difficult to grasp, but a keymap is an os concept, and
> basically is a piece of software that fits between the driver for the
> keyboard and the OS, such that pressing a key will pass a code to the
> keymap, which looks at an array of logic, containing the key codes to
> translate, the code to output, and if necessary a bit of binary code to
> call to create an action.  A key logger works in this fashion also, but
> the bit of code it executes writes the key strokes to a file which is
> the log of keystrokes.

No.  Actually, it is not hard to grasp once someone lays it out for you.

If I may diverge for a moment.  I have found there is a lot of
information out there for "newbies" and a lot of exchanges of
information for "gurus".  But there is not much for those who have
passed the newbie stage, but aren't yet ready to communicate with the
gurus. People who you might call "newrus" or "gurbies".  I hope that
this question was something that fit that category.

I am not going to burden people's patience with new questions of this
type at the moment, but I do have a file entitled "Really Basic Computer
and Linux" which I keep adding to, and removing from when I get answers.
Most often I come across those answers serendipitously so they are never
publicly asked.

What I would now like ask is, is someone saving, arranging, compiling,
harvesting these middle level answers so they can easily be found by the
newrus and gurbies of the world?  I know how long I have spent searching
for answers or explanations.

Honestly, this latest exchange of information, learning, is a treasure
trove of stuff that shouldn't be lost.

--
Regards Bill