simple ln question

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Sat Aug 25 21:26:46 UTC 2007

I have a script that occasionally does something like this

 ln file1 file2

that makes it so the contents of file1 are the same as of file2, and if you change the contents of 1, the other
changes accordingly.

I can slo do this

 ln -s file1 files

which is somewhat similar, but of course works over file systems and file2 is really just a symbolic link to file1.

Anyway, sometimes I want to undo what I did, but I can't say

 unlink file2

because that will remove file2. I just want it , so that the files are still the same but if I change one, the other will
not change (i.e., inodes are different but diff shows no differences). I can't see any flags for ln. Anyone have
any idea? I know it can be fudged like

 sed -i 's/ / /g' file1

but this is kind of fudging, and it may not work on binary files.

another question. If you have a file FILE1 can you find everything that is linked
to it? say you have

 ln -s /this/is/filesystem/1/FILE1 /filesystem/2/FILE2

given FILE1 can you find FILE2? It is pretty easy the other way around (readlink FILE2) but that does
not work for FILE1. Also if "ln" instead of "ln -s" you cannot do it.

I guess you could do ls -i /this/is/filesystem/1/FILE1, get the inum and then do a

 find / -type f -inum x # Whatever the inum is