dirhash hint?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 26 04:43:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 10:03 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Perhaps, but 'impressions' are not very precise diagnostic data -
> My fstab now looks like this:
>
> #Entry for /dev/sda3 :
> LABEL=/	/	ext3	defaults	1	1
>
> the hash'ed lines, save the three at the beginning, were added -- there seems
> to be some updating and some descriptive behavior involved here; in any
> event, on my system, all is well and this seems to have had no ill effect

I saw the dirhash message, too, during bootup.  Had a Google around, saw
someone else say something similar, I wondered if this new unexplained
"dirhash" was simply the informational comments after a hash mark being
added to the fstab file.  However, my fstab file is unchanged.

e.g. The entries are just a list like this, one per mount point:
     LABEL=donga/home  /home  ext3  defaults  1 2

Now I'm wondering if dirhash means adding some sort of checksum to a
filing system.  "Hash" being a term that I've heard used to describe a
checksum (they do look like a wierd hash-up of characters jumbled
together).

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386