the clock stopped in F7 ?!

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sun Aug 26 22:56:57 UTC 2007

On 08/26/2007 05:46 PM, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 8/26/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>>> I've got a Fedora 7 (x86) system that started exhibiting truly bizarre
>>> behavior about a week ago.  Basically, the clock stopped working.  If
>>> I run 'date' it shows the date/time from a few days earlier, and it
>>> *never* changes.  If I touch a file, it has the date/timestamp from
>>> the time/date in date output.  The odd thing is that this behavior
>>> only happens when the system sits relatively idle for a long chunk of
>>> time (at least 24 hours).  If i'm actively using it every day, then
>>> its fine.  If I reboot, then the problem goes away (and the system has
>>> the correct time after rebooting).
>>>
>>> The first time that this happened was last weekend (Aug 18), and I had
>>> to reboot it last Monday (Aug 20) to fix the problem.  Its now
>>> happened again.  At this moment in time, date claims that its Sat Aug
>>> 25, even though its actually Sun Aug 26 right now.
>>>
>>> To make matters worse, the system behaves oddly when this problem
>>> occurs.  I suspect its because anything that relies on getting an
>>> accurate (or changing) clock is failing.  If I attempt to reboot
>>> cleanly, it just never happens.  The system acts frozen in time.
>>>
>>> I've checked dmesg & messages, and there's nothing there.  messages
>>> just stops logging anything around the time that the clock appears to
>>> have frozen.
>>>
>>> Anyone ever seen this bizarre behavior, or have any ideas what might
>>> be going on?
>>>

>>     There is a battery on your motherboard and it has a clock that needs
>> the battery. Linux checks the computer battery every so often so check
>> that battery and replace if needed. I can cause all your problems.
>
> If it was the CMOS battery,  why would it be working fine for days,
> stop working, then start working again after a reboot?
>
> Also, I've never heard of Linux being capable of checking the CMOS
> battery.  What specifically is doing this check?
>
> Additionally, the CMOS battery is only needed when the system is
> powered down and/or doesn't have external power.  It certainly isn't
> used to keep the system clock running while the system is running on
> external power.
>
> I appreciate your feedback, but what you're saying really doesn't make
> any sense.

Does your system go into a suspended mode when not being actively used
for some time?

(The real test for the CMOS is to see what the time is on boot in BIOS.
When Fedora boots, it will synch with a time server if ntpd is enabled.
However, I agree this is not likely to be a battery issue.)

- --

  Steve