the clock stopped in F7 ?!

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 26 23:26:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Lonni J Friedman wrote:

>>>     There is a battery on your motherboard and it has a clock that needs
>>> the battery. Linux checks the computer battery every so often so check
>>> that battery and replace if needed. I can cause all your problems.
>>>

>> If it was the CMOS battery,  why would it be working fine for days,
>> stop working, then start working again after a reboot?
>>
>> Also, I've never heard of Linux being capable of checking the CMOS
>> battery.  What specifically is doing this check?
>>
>> Additionally, the CMOS battery is only needed when the system is
>> powered down and/or doesn't have external power.  It certainly isn't
>> used to keep the system clock running while the system is running on
>> external power.
>>
>> I appreciate your feedback, but what you're saying really doesn't make
>> any sense.
>>

>   Sorry but I wanted to say the battery runs a clock on your motherboard
> that Linux reads from time to time. If the battery is dead or weak it will
> not run the clock with accuracy.
>
> Better?

Nope, the battery backed CMOS clock is only read by the kernel at boot
time but never again.  After that the "software" clock in the kernel is
updated by a hardware interrupt.

To the OP it almost sounds like a hardware problem.

Try 'cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer' two times or more.

Look at the number just to the right of '0:'

This should have incremented a bunch in between cat's.  If it didn't then
you likely have a hardware problem or the timer is failing to get
initialized.  If it is incrementing then I'm stumped...

-- Mike