OT What does RET (Enter) do and how does it do it ??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 26 23:35:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 20:28 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Its also the same mess that gives us tools like dos2unix (DOS uses
> both linefeed and carriage-return for new line marks

Though, understandable when you take into the origins of some keyboards
and typing:  Hit RETURN, and the head returns to the starting position,
AND rolls down to the next line.  The same applies for VDUs.

Mapping either one of CR or LF to do both jobs does make it a bit harder
to use them by themselves to do just what they're named for.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.