Mantis package bombs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 26 23:40:11 UTC 2007

Charles Curley:
>> And another thought, Rahul: maintainers can ignore bugzilla entries
>> same as they can emails. I've had one bug (189120) oustanding since
>> 2006-04-17, and no-one has yet taken ownership, never mind actually
>> done anything about it.

Todd Zullinger:
> That is certainly true.  Just because someone maintains a package
> doesn't mean that they do it well.  Having things in bugzilla though
> makes it easier to find those lax maintainers and give them the help
> (or kick) that they need.  Other folks can run reports on bugzilla to
> find which maintainers have been unresponsive to bugs.  Then, if it's
> appropriate, there's the AWOL maintainer process for those folks that
> just stop responding to bugs/updates/needed changes in their
> packages.

Third parties do read bugzilla entries, sometimes trying to solve their
own problems, rather than use the mailing lists (full of other stuff,
that they're not interested in).  You'll even see patches supplied, from
time to time, as well as other solutions.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.