memory report discrepancy

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 23:45:12 UTC 2007

Dave Stevens wrote:
>> Check the output of 'dmesg'. On my system I get...
>>
>>     Memory: 408940k/490432k available (2362k kernel code, 81104k
>> reserved, 1399k data, 312k init)
>>
>> If the available memory detected is not what is physically installed,
>> lines above or below should tell you why. Like in my case, I have 64MB
>> missing due to an issue I have never been able to resolve. The relevant
>> lines in 'dmesg' in my case are...
>>
>>     Aperture too small (32 MB)
>>     Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
>>     Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
>>     This costs you 64 MB of RAM
>>     Mapping aperture over 65536 KB of RAM @ 4000000
>>     Memory: 408940k/490432k available (2362k kernel code, 81104k
>> reserved, 1399k data, 312k init)
>>

> Thanks very much, see dmesg excerpt below.
>
> I get:
>
> Checking aperture...
> CPU 0: aperture @ 1f2000000 size 32 MB
> Aperture too small (32 MB)
> No AGP bridge found
> Memory: 2550204k/2604800k available (2374k kernel code, 54208k reserved, 1560k
> data, 204k init)
>
> but it isn't clear to me what this means or what (if anything) can be done.

 From what I read, the system is only able to see a total 2544 MB of RAM
with 2490MB available. The subtraction of 64MB is consistent with the
'Aperture too small' message which costs 64MB of RAM. I see the same
thing on my system.
The missing amount is almost the same as one module of 512MB. It's
possible that one of the two 512MB sticks has gone bad.
How much memory is detected by the BIOS at startup?

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218