Mantis package bombs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 28 12:21:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 00:47 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> I'm not sure what I've got wrong then.  If I change /etc/hosts to:
>
> 127.0.0.1      localhost localhost.localdomain
>
> it works.  If localhost.localdomain is the canonical name in
> /etc/hosts, I get denied.

Using your examples, I found the same.  I've not done this with FC7's
Apache before, but I've certainly used localhost without any problems,
with Apache on prior Fedora releases.  I keep forgetting that the server
is still on FC4.

There's something screwy, here.  With that line, if I try to find the IP
for either name, I should be told it.  And I am, either will resolve.

If I try to find the name for that IP, I'll be told the first one.
Apache acts like it's doing a double lookup (names to IPs and back
again).

The expected behaviour:
Set Apache to allow from localhost.
Try browsing http://localhost/ from localhost.localdomain.
The check should find out the IP for the localhost.localdomain and see
if it's the same IP for localhost.

> I added a localhost.localdomain zone to my local DNS and things still
> wouldn't work.  (I'd previously only had a localhost zone.)

I've got both, I've had them that way since my nameserver was set up on
FC4.

I don't know if IPv6 muddies the waters...

[root at bigblack conf]# host localhost
localhost has address 127.0.0.1
localhost has IPv6 address ::1
[root at bigblack conf]# host localhost.localdomain
localhost.localdomain has address 127.0.0.1

> Commenting out the localhost entry in /etc/hosts didn't work either.
>
> Care to test this out and let me know if it's just me (and Charles)
> with this problem?  I created /etc/httpd/conf.d/test.conf with the
> following content:
>
> Alias /tmp /tmp
>
> <Directory /tmp>
>     Options Indexes
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
>     #Allow from 127.0.0.1
>     #Allow from localhost
>     #Allow from localhost.
>     #Allow from localhost.localdomain
> </Directory>
>
> In /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>
> I am able to browse to http://localhost/tmp/ with either the 127.0.0.1
> or localhost.localdomain allow lines uncommented.  Neither the
> localhost nor localhost. allowed me to access the URL.

Confirmed.

Personally, I've always avoided using localhost.  About the only time I
do is when browsing the CUPS configuration server.  Otherwise, I
normally use the name of the machine to browse to, and IPs in the Apache
restrictions.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386