blank screen on boot in fc7

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Tue Aug 28 13:24:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 07:49 -0500, Frank VanDerLinden wrote:

> my first install I had rebooting fine. But after changing background and
> applying a screen saver this started. So I installed a clean copy. Still had
> the problem. Is it possible I messed up on the install??? Should I try
> installing a clean copy?? Is there any specific options I should use while
> installing a clean copy that might help the situation out??

If you can do it while logging in as root, then use "su - your-username"
while in console, then try startx as your normal user and see if you can
login.  If so, then that works OK.  Maybe try rebooting again and
instead of putting a 3 there, just keep it as it, and delete the rhgb
part and then let it boot.  You might also try removing some of your
services that you don't need and boot up that way and see if one of
those is doing it.  If you don't know how, while booted into run level 3
as you are currently doing, you can run "chkconfig --level 35
service-name off" and then you can boot up.

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY