blank screen on boot in fc7

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 21:28:15 UTC 2007

Frank VanDerLinden wrote:
> Ok while on lunch I tried brining up a brand new install and getting the
> same blank screen. It goes through the first startup where you send your
> hardware profile off and etc. but when I restart I get the screen. The Cap
> lock light don't come on when pressed as well as the num lock. I did go
> through and uncheck all services except for 3 or 4 and it goes one step
> further and flashes the console logon screen that you see right before X
> starts. But none the less still getting the blank screen. Im convinced it
> must be a service that is starting up. Can anyone provide a list of the bare
> minimum services I should have starting? That way I can see if that fixes
> the problem and start adding services back one by one boot by boot too see
> exactly which service is causing this and find a solution.

I would guess that it is either rhgb blanking out your screen after you
boot up or it is on a different screen (CTL-ALT-F7 or CTL-ALT-F8)
I seem to recall that Red Hat Graphical Boot is on one screen and then
the graphical login manager is on another screen. It might even be the
graphical login manager if running startx as a regular user works in
runlevel 3.

You might try adding enforcing=0 on the boot line after rhgb quiet to
see if SELinux is causing a problem with the graphical login manager. If
it comes up with that parameter at boot, you might try relabeling the
filesystem for SELinux. Running 'touch /.autorelabel' followed by
'reboot' as root would be the best solution.

Jim

--
If anyone has seen my dog, please contact me at x2883 as soon as
possible. We're offering a substantial reward.  He's a sable collie,