how to create a directory...

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Aug 29 20:17:30 UTC 2007

> I am not logged in as root. I am logged in as a user. I need to get
> files from my desktop and put them in here, /usr/local/lib/win32 . I
> do not know what chmod or chown means. I read the manual on them but
> do understand.
>
> What I need to know is how to copy the files from my desktop and put
> them in /usr/local/lib/win32 . I am not logged in as root.

Open up a "Terminal" from the start menu thingy.  Type

su -

(that's su <space> and a minus sign) and hit Enter.  Type your root
password.  Now in there, you are root.

Your desktop lives down /home/<username>/Desktop.  So if your username
was mike, and you wanted to mv "mycodecs" from the Desktop to your new dir

mv /home/mike/Desktop/mycodecs /usr/local/lib/win32

Probably your next question will be about unpacking a .tar.gz file...
moving the actual codecs up a directory level...

-Andy