Fedora 7 + Radeon 1950Pro + screen resolution and refresh problems

Antoniak Adam Adam.Antoniak at mofnet.gov.pl
Thu Aug 30 07:58:00 UTC 2007

Hi!

I have a problem with Fedora and my graphic card. Yesterday I installed
Fedora 7 (I used every Fedora distro back from Core 1 and was always
satisfied with it). Recently I upgraded my graphic card to Radeon
1950Pro and cannot make it working under Fedora.

My current screen resolution is 800x600 with refreshing rate 81Mhz. I
cannot setup higher resolution using the graphic panel. What's more my
monitor (NEC Multisync FE771SB) is not automatically recognized. When I
manually configure it using the graphic panel and restart the system, I
cannot work with Fedora as I get the warning message from my monitor
that the refreshing rate is out of range (too high).

I googled for a while and it looks like it might be the problem with the
default ati driver under Fedora. I have "void" in my xorg.cong. I tried
installing fglrx driver from Livna, but couldn't start graphic interface
unless returned to previous xorg.conf (same problem with too high
refreshing rate during bootup). I found many posts regarding this matter
in the web but didn't manage to find definitive resolution to this
problem.

This list helped me in the past so I count on you guys. Any suggestions?

Adam

PS. In the mean time I found this:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Video-Drivers-on-Fedora-7-
59919.shtml Will it solve my problems? I wanna give it a try when I get
back home.