Upgrading fc6 -> f7 with problems

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Thu Aug 30 13:22:00 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
> How did you do the upgrade ?

I've investigated this:

I do:

1. Take an empty machine
2. Install FC6-i386 from a DVD,
   exclude Office and Productivity,
   the rest is default
3. Reboot, replace i586 kernel with i686 kernel
4. Reboot
5. yum -y update
6. reboot. See that I can log in and that yum update
   doesn't want any other updates.
7. Reboot on F-7 i386 DVD, select upgrade
8. Reboot.

If I now do a "yum update" I get:
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named rpm

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5 (r25:51908, Apr 10 2007, 10:29:13)
[GCC 4.1.2 20070403 (Red Hat 4.1.2-8)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

rpm-python has the following version numbers:

Original FC6:	rpm-python-4.4.2-32
FC6 updates:	rpm-python-4.4.2.1-1.fc6
Original F7:	rpm-python-4.4.2-46.fc7
F7 updates:	rpm-python-4.4.2.1-1.fc7

After the F7 upgrade I still have rpm-python-4.4.2.1-1.fc6
installed.

What is the Right Way of solving this problem? Using a respinned
F7 for the upgrade?

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk