SELinux survey (was RE: Stupid F7 boot loop)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:06:22 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>>     Once about Fedora Core 4 I noticed Selinux was there and I turned
>> it on. I began to have odd problems. Things stopped working. I
>> discovered how to turn it off and all problems stopped.
>>
>>     Since then I always turn it off during installation. Right after I
>> refuse to give Grub a password :-)
>
> This is really akin to:  Yesterday I found it very hard to unlock my
> front door with the key, so now I never lock the door.

No, it's more like saying: I booby-trapped my front door with explosives
but had some problems and don't do that any more.

Don't forget that Linux has good, easily understood security mechanisms
inherited from its unix model that are only slightly undermined by
languages and libraries that encourage going beyond array boundaries and
compilers that create predictable stack boundaries with writable and
executable memory nearby.  If you pay attention to the obvious issues
you shouldn't need the explosives.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com