Curiosity question for Electronic Engineers re: transistors ??

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 30 16:13:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 07:02 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have been reading up on the functions of CPUs.  In particular, I have
> found a lot of great info about MOSFET transitors.  However, I haven't
> been able to find (or if I have, I didn't know what I was looking at)
> the levels (actual values) of High Voltage, Low Voltage and Threshold
> Voltage used by a typical modern Intel or AMD CPU transistor.
>
> If this is not a sensible or logical question, what should I be asking
> or looking for?  I just want to get a sense of the amount of electrical
> input/output that is being used in processing.
>
> I don't intend to build transistors in my garage and I am long past the
> need to have help with my homework.  I am just curious about computers.
>

> --
> Regards Bill

Hi, Bill,
	Go to the INTEL website: www.intel.com.  On the right side is a menu.
Choose processors.  From the list choose a processor of interest, and
read the specification sheet (spec sheet is typically what techs call
it.  Marketeers often call it the Product Specification).

	Essentially the vdd is the voltage capability of the transistors.  The
speeds are dependent upon technology used in the design of the chip, the
dopant, the quality of the silicon and various physical parameters
related to packaging which limits the response speed of the I/O pins.

	The spec sheet will tell you all these things.  What you are likely
interested in is Rt or Risetime, Ft or fall time, and maximum clock
speed.  These parameters will give you the basics.  Some additional
information about processors that determine their response capability to
external signals is what is called setup time (the time one signal must
be present before another signal can strobe for it), hold time (the time
after the strobe signal which is required for a reliable latch of the
signal into the next stage or state), and relative timing of addressing
or mode signals.  All of this is in the specification.

	The same process will help you with TI or AMD products as well.

Regards,
Les H