IMAPS and/or openssl problem

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Thu Aug 30 20:28:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 21:09 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> >>         telnet <myserver> 993
> >> I just get
> >>         Trying <server IP address>
> >> and nothing further, until I type ctrl-C.
>
> > Check /var/log/messages to see if anything is logged.  The behavior of
> > telnet sounds like the behavior of openssl.  It's probably not the
>
> No, he doesn't even get a tcp connection established.  If I telnet to my
> IMAP server I see
>
> telnet 192.168.0.xx 993
> Trying 192.168.0.xx...
> Connected to 192.168.0.xx.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> I would first confirm that something is still listening on your external
> network interface on 993.
>
> Why not tcpdump it over your ssh session to the server while you try to
> connect and see what you can see.
>
> Another more exotic workaround would be, on your local machine
>
> ssh root at myserver -N -L993:localhost:993
>
> while this runs, 993 (the first number) on your local client box will
> magically be an encrypted wormhole to port 993 on myserver.  Try running
> that in one terminal session, and temporarily alter kmail to go look at
> localhost for IMAP instead of myserver.
>
> -Andy

I'm thinking that you get the "Connected to" message from telnet when
the initial connection completes.  You get a "Connection refused" when
the firewall blocks the connection.  So telnet is trying, and trying,
and trying to connect.  Maybe while trying there's an error occurring
that's being logged to /var/log/messages.  You are correct that the
connection is never completely established, but it doesn't appear to be
blocked either.

Another (trivial) suggestion: use netstat to be sure there's something
listening on port 993.  Is it "0.0.0.0:993" (all interfaces) or
"127.0.0.1:993" (just the loopback)?

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting,
Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution.