ftpd on xinetd

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Aug 30 22:48:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:37 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
> > What exactly is the error message?
>
> PASS XXXX
> 530 Login authentication failed
> Disconnecting from site 10.0.0.50
>
>  > Is the login failing, or are you
> > being blocked before it gets that far?
>
> It can't be a case of blockage - ftpd responds, and asks me to log in.
> On the client, I use gftp.
>
> > You may want to check that
> > xinetd is running and that pure-ftp is enabled. Just because there
> > is a file in /etc/xinet.d for it does not mean it is enabled.
> >         disable = yes
>
> I'm sure that they're running (used the 'service ... ' commands). And,
> I've been thru the config files.

Are you sure the user's shell is listed in /etc/shells?  That's bitten
people in the past.  Also, verify the user is NOT listed in
/etc/ftpusers.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-          su -; find / -name someone -exec touch \{\} \;            -
-                          - The UNIX way of touching someone        -