LVM or FS:EXT3?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 23:44:53 UTC 2007

> It's transparent unless it breaks.  I do the same as you advise here,
> throw out LVM at install time.  All the machines here are laptops with
> only Fedora as the bootable OS, and everything but /boot in one /
> partition, so LVM is a completely senseless default.

LVM is great.. for big server boxes with many users and unknown usage
requirements. I turn it off. I'd rather a single disk was straight
partitions (eg a laptop) and anything else gets two disks with striped
MD0 swap and mirrored MD1 file systems. IDE disks are just too unreliable
for anything but mirroring