IMAPS and/or openssl problem

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 31 02:18:49 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:

>>> Check /var/log/messages to see if anything is logged.  The behavior of
>>> telnet sounds like the behavior of openssl.  It's probably not the
>> No, he doesn't even get a tcp connection established.  If I telnet to my
>> IMAP server I see
>>
>> telnet 192.168.0.xx 993
>> Trying 192.168.0.xx...
>> Connected to 192.168.0.xx.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>
>> I would first confirm that something is still listening on your external
>> network interface on 993.
>
> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> nmap seems to show that port 993 is open:
> =====================================
> [tim at martha ~]$ nmap 86.43.71.228
>
> Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-08-31 02:13 CEST
> Interesting ports on 86.43.71.228:
> Not shown: 1688 closed ports
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> 80/tcp   open     http
> 135/tcp  filtered msrpc
> 139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
> 445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
> 593/tcp  filtered http-rpc-epmap
> 993/tcp  filtered imaps
> 1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
> 2001/tcp open     dc
> 5190/tcp open     aol

Except that if you read the man page for nmap you find....

Filtered means that a firewall, filter, or other network obstacle is
covering the port and preventing nmap from determining whether the port is open.

And

[egreshko at misty ~]$ telnet 86.43.71.228 993
Trying 86.43.71.228...

Times out....

--
First Law of Bicycling:
	No matter which way you ride, it's uphill and against the wind.