LABEL's

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 31 05:51:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> > I think dd will work fine IFF the partition your sending data to
> > is larger than the one it is coming from, and you do NOT put a
> > file system in the destination partition.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding.  If you use dd to copy, the
> filesystem will be copied too.  You /must/ not put a filesystem on
> the larger partition before dding over.  If necessary, zero it out
> first.

whether you zero the destination partition/disk isn't relevant, it
will simply be overwritten, byte for byte, with the source data
(perhaps leaving extraneous junk beyond that new filesystem that is
now inaccesible).

what *is* relevant is that i don't think karl understands how dd
works.  and until he does, this conversation is never going to die.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca