DD not working--SUCCESS!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 31 11:49:57 UTC 2007

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> mount: /dev/sdb5 already mounted or /mnt busy
>>
>> The last 2 lines say that /dev/sdb5 is mounted to this Old Hard Drive
>> somehow. I did not do this. /etc/fsack did not do this. So not sure what
>
> Yes you did. See your opening mail of the thread titled 'dd and cp -a'
> in which you say that you mounted it to /mnt, but didn't mention how.
> I am assuming you made it permanent by adding it to fstab. And if you
> did this, dd'ing the partition would take this setting over to the new
> drive.

    This is being typed on the copy of F7 I made last night. I had a lot
of things to set up in fstab and grub.conf, and I ran fsck to check the
file system and it said it was fine.

    Had to use the Rescue CD because I forgot to set one thing on
grub.conf :-(
But when I got that fixed it booted up EXACTLY like the original version
with a couple of odd things.

    There are many things to consider before you make a copy of your
working system with dd. If you do those things it is just scary how
perfect the copy is :-P

    I will get this hard drive out of the computer now and the use of dd
was a success.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User