OT : Approximate / fast math libraries ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 14:48:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a number crunch application that is starting to hit bottlenecks
in standard maths functions, like log, exp sqrt etc. Thing is, in many
places I don't need much precision, so was wondering if there was
anything I could do, like use a different library or enable some gcc
options (currently using -O2) to speed things up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fast maths ? search around on
the web I've found a lot of references to fast / approximate math
libraries, but nothing obvious.

Chris