usb /proc/file permissions control

jack craig jcraig at danger.com
Fri Aug 31 18:50:00 UTC 2007

hi matthew,

one question on the below?

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> jack craig wrote:
>

>> i want these files created with 666 just for the devil of it... ;-)
>>

> A better approach is to give access to a group, then add yourself to the
> group.  For example, I use the following code in a udev file
> (/etc/udev/rules.d/60-cell.rules):
>
> SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", ACTION!="add", GOTO="cell_rules_end"
> # LG Phone
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6000", GROUP="cellusers",
> MODE="0660"
> LABEL="cell_rules_end"
>
> Of course, you'll need to find the idVendor and idProduct or other
> identifying characteristics of the device (and change the names to make
> them more appropriate).
>
> Then, add yourself to the cell (or whatever) group.

what is the details of this group addition?  this isnt the same group as
/etc/group is it?

i have created a file for my hiptop as ...
# pass all events to the hiptop access
SUBSYSTEM!="usb_hiptop", ACTION!="add", GOTO="hiptop_rules_end"
# Hiptop/sidekick
SYSFS{idVendor}=="0da0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1002", GROUP="hiptopusers",
MODE="0666"
LABEL="hiptop_rules_end"

and need next the where/how to create and join the group.  tia, jackc...

--
Jack Craig

Build Team

Danger