DD not working--SUCCESS!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 31 20:32:53 UTC 2007

Alan M. Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> The Rescue disk does not have dd.
>>

> This is false.
>
> Because I found your statement so incredulous, I had to prove it.
> Accordingly, I just booted from the F7 rescue CD, and when I got to the
> shell prompt, I typed 'dd' and it worked. It would be hard to imagine an
> effective rescue CD that lacked such basic utilities.
>
> Not that I think it will make much difference, but I have to echo the
> sentiments of others and say that copying a live, mounted partition with
> a non-atomic utility like dd is foolhardy at best.
>
> The fact that you did and it seemed to work does not mean that doing so
> is safe. We've all done stupid things in our lives that should have
> killed us but we somehow made out ok. That doesn't mean I'm going to
> recommend to my children to do the same stupid things.

    I suggest you do this: Come up in the Rescue cd and do NOT mount
your computer to the rescue at /mnt/syswhatever. Then see if you have dd.

    As for your tone and lack of understanding I think you take the cake
for gall. If you don't believe what I just DID, then stop writing about it.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User