DD not working--SUCCESS!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:48:22 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> If after everything everybody has told you you still do not consider
>> dd'ing a live system as a poor and risky practice then nobody will
>> ever convince you.
>>
>    I of course see what your saying. It would be best if you have a
> computer dedicated to running dd. You plug in 2 hard drives and boot up
> hoping bios takes care of the hard drives :-)
>
>    On the computer you say dd if=hd1 of=hd2 and neither Hard Drive is
> doing anything else.
>
>    But I don't have that many computers and hard drives. So I do what I
> can and it appears to have worked.

Just boot that computer with any live CD like Knoppix or your Fedora
install disk with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt, and don't mount any
partitions from the hard disks involved in the copy. That way you are
sure that the directories and free space map don't change separately
from the data in the files during the time it takes to complete the copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com